Professional Practices and Responsibilities
A Commercial endorsement is required by law if you are using your qualification for work or accepting payment for use of your boat etc. The method of gaining this endorsement is now by taking an interactive course via our section of the RYA Interactive website. The course is called Professional Practices and Responsibilities and takes about 8 hours or less to complete; this can be done in small stages if required. After completing the online course tuition you have the opportunity to take a number of mock assessments before attempting the final assessment.
Click Here to jump to the Login Instructions
The Professional Practices and Responsibilities course is for skippers and crew using RYA qualifications to allow them to work commercially. As such, it is written mainly from the point of view of UK legislation and concentrates on your place in the international maritime environment as a UK certificate holder. However, it does also highlight the need to look beyond UK rules and regulations and take into consideration the requirements of the flag and port state.
There are two sections to the PPR course; General Knowledge and Scenarios
General Knowledge will cover subjects such as recommended safety briefing, types of lifejackets, flares required, National governing bodies etc
Teaching scenarios throughout the course are based on a variety of boats, both sail and power. It may be that you have experience on none of the boats used, but that will not affect your ability to do the course as no specialist knowledge of any type of vessel is required – the same rules and regulations apply regardless of your type of boat or operation.
Types of Certificate which can be Commercially Endorsed
Powerboat - Level 2 & Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
Sail & Motor - Day Skipper, Yachtmaster (Coastal or Offshore), Yachtmaster Ocean
A commercial endorsement requires you to be in date with an approved First Aid course, take a Sea Survival course and pass a medical. The medical can be either an ML5 which is conducted by your GP or an ENG1 conducted by an MCA approved Doctor and is required if you are working in Category 0 and 1 waters (over 60 miles from a safe haven). Approved First Aid courses are run by us but if you have an existing certificate, check if it is acceptable here.
Downloads (open in new windows)
PPR Course Login Instructions
Please read these instructions and then click the link at the end, a new window will open so you will still be able to refer back to this page should you need to.
1. If you are new to ryainteractive you will need to contact us to create an account, if you are already a user then log in.
2. Once we have created your account you can click here to log in.
3. If you are logging in for the first time you will be directed to a page where you need to enter your address, telephone number and date of birth.
4. If you haven't already done so you need to contact us to pay the £39 course fee. Once you have paid the balance we will enrol you onto the PPR course. You can then start accessing the course material and mock assessments. It is important to take your time reading and studying the course information for your mock assessments as this course is not as easy as some may think!
5. When you have passed the end of course assessment you will be able to download a certificate which you can then send to the RYA with your commercial endorsement application or renewal form.
6. Finally if you have any problems or enquiries about your PPR course then do not hesitate to contact us on 01803 853843. We have Knowlegeable and experienced instructors that can talk to you via Email, over the phone or face to face and deal with any queries you may have.